×

quesHow to calculate maintenance amount in divorce if wife is working?

How much alimony would I need to pay to my wife if my income is Rs. 85,000 per month? It has been 18 years of our marriage and the house is in my name. We have one male child and my wife is seeking a Divorce now.

What will be the alimony amount to be paid to her? Please also note that my wife has started a business venture with her friends.

Deciding the amount of alimony / maintenance is the discretion of the Court.

The sum and period of alimony generally depends upon how long the marriage existed. Marriages that lasted more than 10 years are entitled to be granted a life long alimony. Age of the spouse is also taken into consideration while awarding alimony. Normally, a young recipient of alimony gets it for a smaller period of time if the court thinks that he or she will soon be able to become financially sound through a prospective career excellence. Alimony is also in vogue in order to equalize the economic condition of both the spouses. The higher earning spouse is entitled to pay a heavy amount as alimony.

The spouse who is projected to be enjoying a prosperous career is liable to pay high alimony amount. If one of the spouse is suffering from poor health, the other is subjected to payment of high alimony to ensure proper medication and well being of the other spouse.

The Court shall consider the fact that the marriage lasted for 18 years, your wife has also started a business venture, who gets the custody of the child and on the basis of all these considerations, the Court shall decide the amount of alimony / maintenance.