quesHow to calculate maintenance amount in divorce if wife is working?

How much alimony would I need to pay to my wife if my income is Rs. 85,000 per month? It has been 18 years of our marriage and the house is in my name. We have one male child and my wife is seeking a Divorce now.


What will be the alimony amount to be paid to her? Please also note that my wife has started a business venture with her friends.

  • ans


    Deciding the amount of alimony / maintenance is the discretion of the Court.


    The sum and period of alimony generally depends upon how long the marriage existed. Marriages that lasted more than 10 years are entitled to be granted a life long alimony. Age of the spouse is also taken into consideration while awarding alimony. Normally, a young recipient of alimony gets it for a smaller period of time if the court thinks that he or she will soon be able to become financially sound through a prospective career excellence. Alimony is also in vogue in order to equalize the economic condition of both the spouses. The higher earning spouse is entitled to pay a heavy amount as alimony.


    The spouse who is projected to be enjoying a prosperous career is liable to pay high alimony amount. If one of the spouse is suffering from poor health, the other is subjected to payment of high alimony to ensure proper medication and well being of the other spouse.


    The Court shall consider the fact that the marriage lasted for 18 years, your wife has also started a business venture, who gets the custody of the child and on the basis of all these considerations, the Court shall decide the amount of alimony / maintenance.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

My wife and son harassing me for money. They are ill-treating me. Our divorce case…
I'm married since 9 years. my husband applied for Canadian pr . it's in process…

My wife has filed an FIR which has allegations that me and my fathe r&…

i have filed divorce petition against my wife on the basis of cruelty she beats…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly