how much share wife can claim in joint property where i pay loan emi
we bought a flat in joint name where the bank loan of 80% of the flat cost is in my name and now we have filed for a divorce. wanted to know how much share can my wife claim in the flat as all the loan emi is being paid by me only.
In such a case many things are considered.
Firstly, the property bought in joint name is the sole property that you and your wife resided or residing. OR an additional property that is bought as an asset or source of income.
Secondly, the earning capacity of each spouse and current stability.
Thirdly, the children and their well being.
In the above, if the property is the resident of the family then the same shall be divided equally since you are the bread earner for the family so amount wife paid shall not be considered rather that too shall be given in addition to her. If, she is a homemaker and not earning or incapable of being self sufficient.
In other cases, the Assets movable or immovable shall again be equally divided but depending on the share of each spouse and also the share of the children if any.
Advocate Shalini KapilaDubai Creek Tower, Dubai
Your wife will be entitled to 50% of teh property irrespective of who is paying the EMI as she is a joint oner of the flat. You are advised to stop paying the EMI and let the bank proceed with auction. You are also advised not to buy any property before the divorce gets finalised.
Word of caution: Your wife will be entitled to 50% of teh amount you receive from auction as well.
Advocate Mishika SinghLajpat Nagar 1, Delhi
To answer this question it is necessary to inspect the sale deed and the other title documents.
There can be situation that you have applied for loan and your wife is co applicant as well chi owner or co owner but not co applicant. The percentage of holding would depend upon the title deed
Advocate Sonia SainiDwarka, Delhi
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can I get share in constructed property of my father died intestate ?
- Can I file revision in HC to set a side the interlocutory order
- How to recover money loaned to someone
- Govt. Acquired our land unfairly how to object to it
- Pending case in Court will effect job or not