quesHave divorce law changed if one partner is citizen of another country?

Have Divorce rules changed in case my husband is a UK citizen and summons have to be sent to him via the embassy? We got married in 2012. My husband is a UK citizen. In December 2013 I filed a divorce case from Punjab. The case is still going on and the dates are getting extended.


The date given was in April but the lawyer said that the rules have changed. Now, the Embassy will send summons and we will have to wait for 3 months. Is this correct that rules have changed and we have to wait for 3 months?


  • ans


    UK and India, both are members of Hague Service Convention which is a multilateral treaty dealing with international service of process. It provides that one of the procedure for service of summons is “Letters Rogatory”, otherwise known as a letter of request. 


    In some countries, the papers must be served to a central government authority or an overseas agent, who will then guarantee delivery of the divorce papers to your spouse. So, the procedure adopted by the Court is in line with the Convention, whereby the Court has issued summons and the same shall be served via the Embassy. Now, there is no fixed time period within which the Embassy shall serve the summons. Therefore, we cannot guide you to that aspect.


    The other option available to you is to engage some agency or a lawyer in UK who gets the process of serving summon to the Respondent through duly authorized registered summon processor who not only submits the proper complete report of the service but even gives a proper notarized affidavit along with his report of the complete service of the summon sent by the Indian court. 


    This report, along with the affidavit, is sent to you to be placed in the court record of your case. 


    The Family Court may even require a substitute service of notice to the Respondent through local newspaper publication, that you have to get processed and will also have to pay the cost for the same to the court. 


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hello, I have filed divorce case on adultery ground and DNA petition also filled. For…
Muslims.....as me and my family is facing a fake dowry harassment from the girl and…
Hi After 8 yr marriage husban can not life together he said he has not…

my husband is threatening me for taking divorce. he is mentally harassing me because of…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly