quesharassment of wife from the mother in law and husband

a lady known to me - is married for the last 3 years . Her mother in law does not like her ;because this was a love marriage . The mother in law did not approve the bride but the husband and wife were happy , initially . Now after 3 years of marriage , the relations have started to turn sour . The husband does not want to support the wife -. does not pay any allowances . They insist that the wife should cook her own food , while there is a cooking maid in the home . every new sunrise starts with taunts . Ultimately - the wife was fead up and left the home - and presently staying with her parents . negotiations are not reaching anywhere . mother in law is very insistent in not allowing the husband and wife to live to-gather . What can be done in this case

  • ansAll depends on what does the wife want. Does she want to end the marriage or make it work? 2. The husband cannot abdicate his duty to financially support his wife. She can file a case for maintenance against him to get the necessary finances. 3. If domestic violence has been meted out to her then she can file a case for domestic violence to seek compensation. She can also, if she wants to return to her matrimonial house, seek a protection order from the court. A protection order is a command from the court to the husband and his family to refrain from subjecting the wife to further violence, failing which the perpetrators can be imprisoned. 4. She can also file a case for the return of her streedhan. 5. If she as been harassed in relation to dowry then she can file a case for dowry harassment. 6. If she wants to terminate the matrimonial tie then she and her husband can file for mutual consent divorce. She may also file unilaterally for divorce if her husband does not agree to mutual divorce.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Got intercaste marriage last year.my father in law don't like my caste & he did…

Dear Sir, I am from India and my Ex Girlfriend is German. We broke up…

I did marriage before 2 years. But after 1 year due to lots of problems…
how can a women be protected under Hindu law for contracting third marriage without having…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly