Foreign court passed a divorce judgment. Can i remarry in India now?
I was married to a foreigner. Marriage was solemnized in India. But after 2 years my husband filed for divorce in his home country. I received court summons regarding it.
But I couldn’t visit the foreign country due to visa. But I gave written acceptance to the same and scanned it and mailed it to them. Later I received the original copy of the final judgment stamped but not signed. Can I remarry now? Is the divorce valid?
Since you had been served with copy of summons and you had accepted the grounds of divorce and signed and accepted the judgment for divorce passed by the foreign court, then the same would be binding upon you.
You can request your ex-husband to furnish you certified copy of decree for your record as unsigned copy is not a certified copy. Your marriage stands dissolved and you are at liberty to remarry.
File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- E-commerce website is not refunding the amount after product returned
- do we need to pay financial settlement to brothers wife
- Need a divorce after 15 years of marriage
- Is there any time limit to probate a registered will
- Telecom provider is charging more than the bill