×

quesForeign court passed a divorce judgment. Can i remarry in India now?

I was married to a foreigner. Marriage was solemnized in India. But after 2 years my husband filed for divorce in his home country. I received court summons regarding it.

But I couldn’t visit the foreign country due to visa. But I gave written acceptance to the same and scanned it and mailed it to them. Later I received the original copy of the final judgment stamped but not signed. Can I remarry now? Is the divorce valid?

Since you had been served with copy of summons and you had accepted the grounds of divorce and signed and accepted the judgment for divorce passed by the foreign court, then the same would be binding upon you.

You can request your ex-husband to furnish you certified copy of decree for your record as unsigned copy is not a certified copy. Your marriage stands dissolved and you are at liberty to remarry.