quesFailed marriage. Husband doesn't support me. What to do?

My marriage was arranged by parents in April 2015. The family seemed settled and financially well. after a few months of marriage, my inlaws made me leave my job, asked for dowry on the basis of tradition, and my husband never supported me. issues turned big gradually and one day my husbands family asked my parents to take me away saying that i am mental and characterless girl. its been 2 and half years that i am living in my parental home and neither my husband and his family had came to talk or solve issues. rather, they go the village people and ashame me and my family. What should i do.

  • ansYou by now should have filed for Divorce and maintenance also. If not done do it, also ask for return of dowry and stridhan. If they defaming you get witnesses for it and file a criminal defamation case against them. Get a lawyer for the same. Take recommendation for the District Court of your State.

    Advocate Shalini Kapila

      Dubai Creek Tower, Dubai

  • ansDear Madam,

    You should file a maintenance petition before the court as well as file a domestic violence petition before the court.

    Also, you also have an option of filing a criminal complaint depending upon the situation. If after considering all that you went through you think you do not want to go back ever it would also be proper to go for a divorce.

    Please feel free to contact.

    Advocate Sonia Saini

      Dwarka, Delhi

  • ansYour query is not correct. You have stated that your marriage was arranged in April 2015 than how come you are stating at your parents place for the last over 2 years.

    Still, responding to your query, it depends upon what u intend to do. You want to stay with your husband or want separation. If u want a peaceful settlement, you can discuss with your husband or your inlaws or your family can do the same and than decide. In case you wish to proceed in a tough manner than, you can file a complaint against your husband, inlaws etx. complaining about their conduct of demanding dowry, indulging in mental and physical cruelty, before the police and the ball will start rolling. Your husband would respond and his response would reveal his intentions.

    Advocate Jiwan Pal Singh

      Tis Hazari Court, Delhi

  • ansWell if you want to get back to living with your husband then you can file an Application under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act for Restitution of Conjugal Rights but seeing that you have not resided for two years with him, you have two options: 1) To mutually decide settlement terms and file a case for divorce by mutual consent or 2) File a contested divorce petition un the Grounds of mental cruelty under Section 13 (1) (ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act. In your case you can also probably file for defamation as well as well as criminal proceedings under Section 498 - A and Section 4 of the Dowry Prohibition Act. I am also assuming that the date of April 2015 of marriage is wrong because then you cannot have possibly have been married for 2 and a half years.

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India, Delhi

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

planning to divorce my wife who will contest it and may claim share in property.…

My wife not live with me and she was case file agains me 498a. Now…

In 2016 I got married in christian act.. day one of my marriage I started…
I dont like my, because her carcter is bad and he is warring me suisade.…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly