quesdivorce on ground of domestic violence by wife on husband

Is it possible in India for a man to divorce a woman who have been married for > 5 years due to constant physical and metal abuse by the wife? Include daily infliction of bleeding type injuries, mild concussions, destruction of valuable property such as laptop, prescription glasses, tearing of books, damage to watches, mobiles etc. Locking up man in bathroom for more than an hour etc. making him miss important deadlines.

  • ansYes it is more than possible. In fact these are grounds under the heading of Mental Cruelty. In fact under the provisions of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, Section 13, (1) (ia). What exactly amounts to Cruelty and Mental Cruelty has been discussed in a number of cases by the Supreme Court of India.

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India, Delhi

  • ansHi there!

    Even though the law India does not recognize 'violence' inflicted by women on men under the Domestic Violence Act, the husband can avail the remedy of Judicial separation on account of cruelty under Section 10 (1) (b) of the Hindu Marriage Act. The burden of prove, however, will lie on the husband to prove cruelty. Further, the enquiry will be whether the conduct charged as cruelty was of such a character as to cause in the mind of the husband a reasonable apprehension that it will be harmful or injurious for him to live with the wife.

    Advocate Mishika Singh

      Lajpat Nagar 1, Delhi

  • ansDear Sir,
    You have every right to get a divorce and end this relation which has reached such a point beyond repair

    These acts are covered under the definition of cruelty which is a valid ground for divorce.

    Feel free to revert in case of further clarifications

    Advocate Sonia Saini

      Dwarka, Delhi

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Our marriage was solemnized in India .Since ,we are working in Kuwait, she had filed…
girl is cristian and married with hindu boy bofore 2 years back. but now girl…
My husband and I (hindus) have been living separately for almost a year now and…
ours christian marriage. my husband telling my parents should not come to my home. due…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly