quesDivorce for Muslim marriage registered abroad

I got married in 2012 to a muslim living abroad. We got the marriage registered as well. I am a muslim living in India. I wanted my wife to settle down with me in India who decided to do so. But end minute she decides not to and instead asks me for a divorce. We filed a mutual divorce in the court. I got a summon in India to appear for the proceeding abroad.

I cannot leave my job and go there. I can neither afford the visit or a legal attorney there. Can I send a letter to the court explaining why I am not able to appear?

  • ansIn Shariat, there is no role of the court in granting divorce. The divorce can be effected in front of 2 witnesses and can be communicated to the wife or if mutual then a deed of mutual consent can be prepared and both can sign and get separated.

    However, in your case, we are not clear under which provision has your wife approached the court; nor do we know what is she claiming from the court abroad. Is it for maintenance of for divorce? If for divorce, you can prepare a deed of divorce mentioning the reason as stated above and send it to the concerned court via a registered post.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I am a hindu and i married a muslim guy and due to some religious…
Can I apply for divorce, when dvc is ongoing?
I chatted with my ex girlfriend for a week or so even after marriage in…

I have signed on marriage certificate as a witness and marriage is illegal. Now, his…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Ekta Mehta

  Nizamuddin East
 Experience: 8 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly