quesCan wife reopen our divorce case which was finalized in her absence?

Can my wife reopen our divorce case if it was awarded ex party where she did not appear after first 3-4 hearings. The divorce happened in 2013 Jan and I want to remarry now. Can my ex wife reopen the case and file a criminal or any other case against me?


Will my 2nd marriage will be void in case she does this?


  • ans


    Your ex-wife can definitely challenge the ex-parte divorce granted to you however, setting aside decree passed Ex-parte against the defendant / respondent is never so easy as the onus lies on the defendant / respondent to prove that not only the summons was not duly served on him / her or that he / she was prevented by any "sufficient cause" from appearing when the suit was called on for hearing. 


    As far the first part the service of summon through Registered Post, Court Process server, Newspaper publication, affixing of summons outside the door of the house/shop/office of the defendant/respondent are various modes which are carried out first by the trail court before proceeding Ex-parte against the defendant/respondent. 


    More so the Court after making order for Ex-parte proceedings record the evidence of the Plaintiff/Petitioner, consider the Plaint/Petition in question and based on the facts and circumstance pass any Ex-parte order/decree, it not that just immediately after passing order for ex-parte proceeding the order/decree is being passed, what this means the sufficient time is given for the defendant/respondent to come forward at any of these stages to get the ex-parte proceeding order revoked but if still such person is not doing so than he/she cannot be allowed to take advantage of his/her wrong and prevent the Plaintiff/Petitioner to avail the relief from the court.


    As far if the summon was served upon such defendant/respondent but he/she was prevented to be present on the date fixed for his/her appearance, than in such case what has to be seen what was the "sufficient cause" for doing so, it not that such person avoids his/her appearance in the court without any "sufficient cause" , the court has to be satisfied for the reason or cause this person gives for the nonappearance. 


    Keeping in mind the Ex-parte decree of divorce passed by the Family Court in January 2013 and no appeal filed against the same, you can go for remarriage.


    In such cases it has been mostly decided by the Supreme Court as well many High Courts in India the spouse against whom ex-parte decree of divorce is passed is not getting much relief as far revoking the decree of divorce is concerned, maximum financial relief in the form of cost may be allowed to such spouse but that too depending on the facts and circumstance not in every case.


    Therefore, the validity of your second marriage shall depend upon the Courts decision as to whether the ex-parte divorce decree is set aside or not which shall in turn depend upon whether your wife is able to prove sufficient cause for non-appearance.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

pls tell me the counter case can i filed against 498a wife and her family…

My husband is a heroin addict, when I found out I got him treated but…

I want to revive my Divorce case which I had withdrawn in 2009 owing to…

Respected Members, I filed divorce against my husband and send the notice to my in…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly