Can my sister get divorce from her hubby and get compensation as well?
My sister and her hubby are not living together after the day they got married. Now she has one daughter and wants to get Divorce & compensation for herself and her daughter.
In case your brother-in-law is also interested in getting a Divorce, then he and your sister can apply for divorce by mutual consent. Your sister can have the custody of the child, while your brother-in-law can give permanent alimony and stridhan to your sister and provide for maintenance of the child.
However, in case your brother-in-law is not interested and is not agreeable to the same, then your sister can file for divorce, under various grounds, provided under the Hindu Marriage Act and can apply for maintenance for herself and the child under the said Act as well as the Maintenace Act.
Grounds for Divorce under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 are as follows:
Adultery / Cruelty / Desertion / Conversion to another religion / Mental Disorder / Leprosy / Venereal Disease / Renunciation / Not Heard Alive / No Resumption of Co-habitation.
File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Will there be an Issue in future if my wife uses her maiden surname
- Property brought by us in mother's name brother taking loan on it
- is lie detector test proof about date of birth valid in courts
- Employer restricting to extend maternity leave
- How to apply for an insurance claim