quesCan my husband still file for Divorce if I am not wiling to separate?

Can my husband still file for a Divorce if I am not willing to separate from him ? I have been married for less than a year. Things don’t seem to work out with my husband and I want to take a Divorce but I have nowhere to go after that.


It was a love marriage and I know if we separate my parents might not take me back. Can he still file the case?


  • ans


    As per Section 14 of the Hindu Marriage Act, no divorce petition can be filed within one year of marriage. However the same can be filed after the time period under any of the provisions of Section 13(1) of the Hindu Marriage Act. 


    Yes the petition can be filed by one of the spouse but he/she has to prove the ground on which the divorce is being sought. 


    We would inform you that per the provisions of Protection of Women from domestic Violence Act, you have a right to residence whereby your husband is under an obligation to provide for your residential accommodation till the time you are married.


    After divorce, he is liable to pay alimony / maintenance to you under the Indian Penal Code as well as under the Hindu Marriage Act.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

My husband filled section 13 at ahmednagar against me and I have filled section 9,…
Due to some misunderstanding i m living with my parents from 2013 June onwards. My…
my wife has put a false case of DV and Dowry against me. it is…
husband filed divorce in 2015 n i got maintence every month of 10 k .Now…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly