×

quesCan i legally stop my sister's husband from taking divorce from her?

How can I legally stop my sister’s husband from taking divorce from her? My sister has been married for 7 years now and has a 2 year old child. There is no relation of any sort between my sister and her husband. She thinks that her husband is involved with another girl.

When confronted, her husband says that he does not want to sort things out between them and says he wants a Divorce but my sister is not ready to break the family like that.

What can we do in this case?

There is no legal way of stopping your sister's husband from taking a divorce. If he can satisfy the existence of any of the grounds mentioned under Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act, then he is legally entitled to divorce.

Kindly understand if your sister will contest the Divorce, it will take many years for your brother in law to prove his grounds for divorce. It's not a cake walk to get a contested divorce.

You can try a marriage counselor, however it is for your sister to decide whether it is worth continuing such a marriage.