Can i legally stop my sister's husband from taking divorce from her?
How can I legally stop my sister’s husband from taking divorce from her? My sister has been married for 7 years now and has a 2 year old child. There is no relation of any sort between my sister and her husband. She thinks that her husband is involved with another girl.
When confronted, her husband says that he does not want to sort things out between them and says he wants a Divorce but my sister is not ready to break the family like that.
What can we do in this case?
There is no legal way of stopping your sister's husband from taking a divorce. If he can satisfy the existence of any of the grounds mentioned under Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act, then he is legally entitled to divorce.
Kindly understand if your sister will contest the Divorce, it will take many years for your brother in law to prove his grounds for divorce. It's not a cake walk to get a contested divorce.
You can try a marriage counselor, however it is for your sister to decide whether it is worth continuing such a marriage.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Hindu widow's rights in first husband property if she remarried
- Can a UK citizen buy land/plot in India
- Colleagues threatening to file false complaint. How to save ourself?
- Can i lodge a case for in AFT for extension of service for 4 month
- Husband cheating how to file mutual divorce