Can i get divorce if husband is missing for past 4 years and re marry?
How can I get a Divorce if my husband is untraceable and I haven’t spoken to him since the last 4 years? I got married 4 years ago against my wish and after 4 days of my marriage my in laws sent me back to my home. Since then I am not in touch with my husband and my in laws who live in another city.
I am in Gurgaon. What should I do now as I want to get married again?
Assuming you are a Hindu, your marriage will be governed by Hindu Marriage Act 1955.
Deserting one’s spouse without a valid reason amounts to cruelty and a ground for valid ground for divorce. Section 13 (1) (ia) which specifically deals with cruelty and Section 13 (1) (ib) wherein law clearly states if the respondent has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition, petition may be presented for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce on this ground.
The section 13 (1) (ia) and Section 13 (2) (ib) read are as under:
a. has, after the solemnization of the marriage, treated the petitioner with cruelty; or
b. has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of not less than two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition.
Therefore, in view of above mentioned Section, you can file a divorce petition against your husband.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- What can I do if there is physical violence at my office
- Wife is abusive how can I file for divorce
- chacha creating issues for my fathers share in ancestral property
- Whether witness can file evidence on affidavit
- Can brother sell the ancestral property if not divided yet ?