quesCan I adopt child of my wife from her previous marriage

The court granted an exparte divorce to my wife who was having a 3 year old girl child from her last marriage. The father who is a drunkard was cruel both to the child as well as his wife. He never cared for the child. Since the child's birth, the child has been under the custody of my wife only. Even during the divorce proceedings the father never ever appeared at the court or contacted. Under these circumstances can I adopt the child (now 11 yrs old) as my daughter? All the needs and requirements of the child is being met by me as if she is my own biological daughter.

  • ansThe consent of biological father of child is indispensable regardless of whether he has discharged or not his responsibilities as a father. She cannot be adopted without his consent.

    The consent of the father is a must. Only then can the Deed of adoption be prepared wherein the natural/biological parents give the child to you for adoption.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I live in the US and my wife left to India taking my 2.5 year…
My brother is going through divorce and he has bought a flat in his name…
Hindu My daughter married on 15/12/2014 Her husband is asexual and his family knew it…
sir agar 18 months sai meri wife muz sai alg rah rahi hai . mainy…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly