Can husband file divorce within 1 year if I am not wiling to separate?
Can my husband still file for a Divorce if I am not willing to separate from him ? I have been married for less than a year. Things don’t seem to work out with my husband and I want to take a Divorce but I have nowhere to go after that.
It was a love marriage and I know if we separate my parents might not take me back. Can he still file the case?
As per Section 14 of the Hindu Marriage Act, no divorce petition can be filed within one year of marriage. However the same can be filed after the time period of 1 year under any of the provisions of Section 13(1) of the Hindu Marriage Act.
Yes the petition can be filed by one of the spouse but he/she has to prove the ground on which the divorce is being sought.
We would inform you that per the provisions of Protection of Women from domestic Violence Act, you have a right to residence whereby your husband is under an obligation to provide for your residential accommodation till the time you are married.
After divorce, he is liable to pay Alimony / Maintenance to you under the Indian Penal Code as well as under the Hindu Marriage Act.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Accused discharged do I have other remedies under law?
- What is the procedure for registration of flat
- Workmen died under my supervision and FIR 304 registered against me.
- mutual consent divorce in case of court marriage
- False FIR by father in law in divorce case