quesCan conciliation period be waived for mutual divorce

I had filed a divorce case in 2007, and this was contested by my wife. In June 2013, I withdrew the above mentioned case and then me and my wife decided to file a mutual consent divorce. Can the 6 month conciliation period be waived off in our case? Please advise

• ansThe six months period cannot be waived to get divorce decree, only Supreme Court has got the power to grant relaxation in such cases by invoking the doctrine of irretrievable breakdown of marriage.

It is important since cooling-off period sometimes results in reconciliation between the husband and wife leading to saving their marriage.