quesCan ask for maintenance again after settlement?

Few years back my wife filed a maintenance case under section 125. It was settled and she also gave a application in the court that she received 10 lac rupees from me for the whole life and would not ask for money in future. She withdrew the case from the court but no statement was recorded. Since she withdrew the case can she re file the case again?

  • ansShe can file it again if there is some change in circumstances. Withdrawal of case at this stage does not operate as a bar to the filing of case in future.

    She can claim maintenance even after divorce till she got re-marry or got any employment, court can consider if she has no independent income to maintain herself at the material point of time by her application.

    Calcutta High Court Manoka Chatterjee vs Sri Swapan Chatterjee, (2002) 2 CALLT 336 HC-- JUDGMENT A. Barua, J.

    In this case it was held, a so called "future maintenance of a lump sum amount of money cannot be made frozen on time. It is flexible and changes from time to time according to the change of circumstances the wife is confronted with. It was also decided that the mere fact some amount is given to wife for future maintenance would not dis-entitle her from claiming maintenance."

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I belong to Hindu religion. I have done court marriage and now i want to…
I am working in government sector I am halping a lady who was already married…
My friend has been in a marriage for 11 years now. He has been feeling…
1) We both are working professional and staying in Glasgow (UK) at the moment. 2)…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly