quesCan a third person file a divorce through a Power of Attorney?

I am married to NZ Girl born in India and Now NRI. Girl stayed in India With my family for 82 days and there is no problem. I was taken to NZ by the in laws. Suddenly due more interference of mother in law the problem started and lastly I was dropped to India by Father in law. My Father in law pressed my family for divorce which was agreed through Village Panchayat. The demanded Rs 4 Lacks as compensation and it was agreed too. Then they have send power of attorney on the Name of elder brother of my father in law. The main doubt is that can third party file a case of Divorce against me by POA

  • ans

    If the power of attorney states that the  the attorney holder has the power and authority , to file a suit and further contest it.

    A divorce petition can be filed through this attorney bearing the signatures of the attorney. 

    Once the divorce petition has been filed the parties presence would be required at the stage of evidence. 


    Click here to find the best Divorce lawyer in your city.


  • ansDear Sir,

    If the power of attorney states that the the attorney holder has the power and authority , to file a suit and further contest it a divorce petition can be filed through this attorney bearing the signatures of the attorney .

    Once the divorce petition has been filed the girls presencewould be required at the stage of evidence .

    Advocate Sonia Saini

      Dwarka, Delhi

  • ansThe filing can be done but such third party cannot adduce evidence because as per various supreme court judgments it has been held that where the law requires or contemplated the plaintiff or other party to a proceeding, to establish or prove something with reference to his `state of mind' or `conduct', normally the person concerned alone has to give evidence and not an attorney holder.

    I hope the same answers your query.


    Advocate Kunal Sabharawal

      Panchsheel Enclave, Delhi

  • answe inform you that only court have power to grant divorce no village panchayat can pass any order of such nature. both husband and wife through memorendum of understanding in writing can mutualy settle the amount. For divorce both husband and wife shall file divorce with mutual consent in court. and the settlement amount will be paid in court to the wife in presence of the judicial officer only.

    Advocate Yogesh Kumar Vidyakar

      District Court, Dwarka, Delhi

  • ansThe joint petition gor seeking the divorce can be filed provided the POA sent grom newzeland has been stamped grom collector of stamps. And if required the court may also tell that the petition has to b digned by the parties in person.

    Advocate Rajan Bhatia

      District Court, Tis Hazari, Delhi

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I am a hindu girl. I wish to know if the husband perpetrates un-natural acts…

Me and my husband are now married for 1 year and 1 month. We both…
Dear Sir/Madam, I was married since 2013 Jan and we were to gather for 5…
A Hindu friend of mine was in a relationship but because of family respect, she…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly