Can a person remarry while pending divorce case? What can be done?
My sister got married 15 years back under Hindu customs & laws. Her husband filled for divorce after 2 years of marriage on grounds of cruelty.
The case is still pending in the lower court but we suspect that my sister’s husband has remarried.
Can her husband get second marriage without taking legal divorce from my sister on any ground? I also have some evidence regarding his second marriage. What should we do to punish him? please advice us.
Since the divorce case of your sister and her husband is still pending in the Court, they are officially still married and they do not have the right to legally remarry till the competent court has passed a decree of divorce.
As per the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 bigamy is strictly prohibited and is punishable under Section 494 and Section 495 IPC.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can my car be taken back by the Bank for non payments of EMI?
- Working in Air force want to quit how can I do this
- need my truck back as driver disappeared after accident
- Want to know that I fall under which category
- Court marriage done in 1978 but incorrect name put how to correct it