Annulment under special marriage act
Two of my friends got married under special marriage act a month ago. This was a love marriage hidden from the parents. Under pressure from the parents they now regret the decision taken under emotional stress. After approaching a lawyer, they were advised to go for an annulment stating that this was an arranged marriage and the girl had a relationship but could not disclose the same at the time of marriage.
After the marriage she has decided to continue the relationship and refused to consummate the marriage and left from day 1 itself. The boy can file a petition under wilful refusal to consummate the marriage. To avoid suspicion of collusion and make proceedings quick.. the lawyer advises the girl to accept the notice from belieef at the first instance but does not appear in court then the marriage can b anuled ex parte within 4 months. could you please advise if this is correct approach ? (the girl may not be able to appear in court anyway as she needs to get married in 5 months time.
Yes, the strategy suggested is feasible. Let them get the marriage annulled first after applying for it within 1 year of marriage on the ground of willful refusal to consummate by the wife. You can not be very sure that it will be over within 5 months. However, if she remarries, she should not hide this incidence otherwise it will be a ground for seeking divorce by his next husband.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Sent signed divorce papers to wife but she refused to sign it
- what are Documents required to take from Builder at Possession?
- My friend getting beaten up by her husband and in laws what to do
- Can my daughter claim share in her father's ancestral property?
- I want to take immediate action against my husband for physical abuse.