Can i import and sell branded laptops in India? What duties and taxes?
I want to know about import of laptop and mobile. Is it legal to import these items as someone has said that branded items cant be sold here. So I want to know can I import and sell?
What is the procedure for this? What are the documents required? What are the duties and taxes?
We would need more details from you to provide a detailed legal advice on the import of laptops and mobile phones. What do you mean when you say 'branded items cannot be sold here' - are these brands not being sold here in India already? If the brand is already present in India, why would you want to import these goods and sell them here as nowadays most of the laptop and mobile brands work on global pricing. Even if there is a difference in the pricing, you would end up paying import duty that would not make it very profitable to sell these products in India.
On the other hand, if the brand does not exist in India, you may want to consider options of formally and officially launching the brand in India and establishing a distribution network for the same.
With respect to the applicable import duties and taxes, you may refer to the below information:
On Personal Computers, it is Countervailing Duties (CVD): 12% + Central Excise Edu Cess: 3% + Custom Education Cess: 3% + Special CVD: 4%
On Cellular Telephone: Basic Duty: 7.50% + CVD: 16.32% + Central Excise Edu Cess: 3% + Custom Education Cess: 3% + Special CVD: 4%
For further and more precise information, kindly contact the Department of Commerce, Udyog Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Customs & Central Excise Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Is husband liable to pay maintenance even after remarriage of wife
- Can employee be sued if service terminated before notice period ended
- How to prevent myself if fraud website have my documents ?
- What is the procedure to divide mother's property equally?
- Can we challenge the jurisdiction of a court