Wallet stolen. Police now blaming me for stealing car. What can i do?
A few days back someone stole my and my friend’s wallet. I had a word with the Police Station over the phone regarding this matter who asked us to register a complaint in the Police Station but I had to travel to Jammu for some urgent work. On returning back I received a call from the Station telling me that they had found my License in a stolen car and started blaming me to be the thief of the stolen car.
Now, they are asking me to report to them every day and are telling me that they will tell the CBI to inquire about me and arrest me for the same.
What can I do to safeguard myself?
Until and unless you have any written proof to substantiate that your wallet had been stolen (This may even include a record of the telephonic conversation with the Police) the things can get difficult for you.
We suggest that you should try and procure the call records from your telecom operator so as to prove that you had made the call regarding your wallet being stolen.
Moreover, you mentioned that you were in Jammu at the time of the car being stolen which is a perfect alibi for you.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- If I take divorce will my children have right on husbands property
- How can I claim share in father's property
- Police's power to investigate offence occured not in its jurisdiction
- Grandmother gifted property to father can uncle claim that property
- Wife wants divorce and have the custody of the child