Person makes complaint for dogs barking. Will police take them away?
I have four dogs at home. My neighbour had a grudge against us from a long time and now she has got a reason. She threatens us to go to the police and file a complaint that my dogs make noise, whereas my dogs are of an expensive breed and trained and don't bark that much.
Everyday she fights with us and uses foul language and says that it is illegal to have dogs at home, that too 4 dogs.
If she complains, will the Police take my dogs away?
There is no law in existence which can stop a person from keeping a pet in the house. Futhermore, there is no limit as to the no. of dogs one can keep in his house. Even if the Resident Welfare Association makes bye-laws against keeping pets, the same cannot be made binding on you as it would be a violation of your Fundamental Right to Life guaranteed under Article 21.
All your neighbor can do is register a complaint for nuisance against you but she needs to prove the same in the Court of law which is a very cumbersome process. But in any case, she cannot make the police take your dogs away, so there is no need to be afraid of her empty threats.
Moreover, if your neighbour does anything to your pets, they can be booked under Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act, 1960. Your neighbour's act would be against Article 51 A (g) of Constitution whereby a duty is cast on her to have compassion for pets.
We would also like to mention that you can register a complaint with police against your neighbour for verbal abuse (using foul language) against you.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- How can we challenge grandfather's will and claim share in property
- Adoption of Widow Daughter's Son in West Bengal
- Doctors doing unnecessary treatments on cancer patient to make money.
- Bank not returning property documents how to get it back
- Maternity laws in educational institute