quesParents harass their daughter. Can 3rd person file a complaint?

I want to ask that if a girl does not want to get married throughout her life and her parents are opposing the same and humiliating and harassing her both physically and mentally, does the Indian law permits to live unmarried all through the life?


She is locked in a room and tortured. How can she get help? Can someone else inform the police and help her? Do the police keep the identity of such person hidden?


Can the law give protection house?


  • ans


    An adult has been given the freedom to decide what is best for him / her and marriage is completely up to the discretion of oneself. No one can force the other to marry and this includes one's parents as well. Therefore, there is no such law which forces one to get married and a girl can remain unmarried her entire life if she wishes so.


    Yes someone else can file a complaint in the Police Station on her behalf to ensure her safety. If you want to keep your identity hidden, you can call 100 and report the crime (torture). Otherwise you can even send a written complaint and ensure that necessary action is taken for the safety of the girl.


    The parents of the girl shall be guilty of physical and mental abuse and shall be tried for the offence.


    Protection Homes are existing, however, the conditions of such government run protection homes is not up to the mark. It would be better if she would take the help of a local NGO working for women empowerment.



  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Criminal lawyers in India

Similar questions

Plz tell me a girl of age 16 have relation with me she came to…
Dear sir, i was arrested in a false allegation by an individual us 307. now…
My case is that I was in a relationship with a Muslim guy for 4…
How much will it cost to file anticipatory bail? The case has been filed by…

Criminal Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly