Parents harass their daughter. Can 3rd person file a complaint?
I want to ask that if a girl does not want to get married throughout her life and her parents are opposing the same and humiliating and harassing her both physically and mentally, does the Indian law permits to live unmarried all through the life?
She is locked in a room and tortured. How can she get help? Can someone else inform the police and help her? Do the police keep the identity of such person hidden?
Can the law give protection house?
An adult has been given the freedom to decide what is best for him / her and marriage is completely up to the discretion of oneself. No one can force the other to marry and this includes one's parents as well. Therefore, there is no such law which forces one to get married and a girl can remain unmarried her entire life if she wishes so.
Yes someone else can file a complaint in the Police Station on her behalf to ensure her safety. If you want to keep your identity hidden, you can call 100 and report the crime (torture). Otherwise you can even send a written complaint and ensure that necessary action is taken for the safety of the girl.
The parents of the girl shall be guilty of physical and mental abuse and shall be tried for the offence.
Protection Homes are existing, however, the conditions of such government run protection homes is not up to the mark. It would be better if she would take the help of a local NGO working for women empowerment.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Bought land from landlord's son. Due to reason money returned. Tax?
- Wife doesn't want divorce. Procedure to divorce without her consent?
- How can recover my pending dues from my employees
- When can issues be raised in a court proceedings
- What action can be taken if builder refuses to give possession