quesNeighbors spreading false rumors about me and family. What can i do?

What can I do if my neighbors are spreading false rumors about me and my family because we got involved in a fight? I am a divorcee and I have a son. My neighbors picked up a fight that led not only to verbal but physical abuses as well.


Some days back I heard a lot of rumors about me and my family. I stay very near to my parent’s house. I don’t want these false rumors to affect my family. Should I file an FIR against this?


What should I do about this?


  • ans


    You can file a complaint and register an FIR U/S 354 along with 509 against your neighbors for their verbal and physical abuses.


    You have every right to live with all dignity. They are outraging your modesty by spreading such rumors. 


    Regarding your physical abuse, you can also file a criminal complaint under various sections of Indian Penal Code but it all depends upon the injuries inflicted upon you by your neighbors. You can file a criminal complaint for defamation against your neighbors as well.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action. 


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Criminal lawyers in India

Criminal Lawyers in India

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Richaa Kapoor

  Delhi High Court
 Experience: 25 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly