quesGirlfriend promised to marry. After 7 yrs she is refusing it. Remedy?

My girlfriend of 7 years had promised me marriage and is now when the time has come, is refusing stating her father will not give his consent to our marriage. We were involved since she joined hostel 7 years ago and while I introduced her to my family she said she will do so once she completes her studies.


Now when the time comes she is refusing saying her father is conservative. How can I now approach her father legally as I feel cheated?


I have all proofs and evidences of our relationship.


  • ans


    See you cannot approach her father legally unless your girlfriend is with you. If your girlfriend is over 18 years of age then she has the right to decide whom to marry and if she decides to marry you then her father cannot stop her legally.


    There is no way to take your girlfriend’s father’s consent legally.


    There have been cases where the boy has refused to marry his girlfriend and the girl has registered a criminal complaint for the offence of rape and criminal breach of trust. However, with respect to a boy registering a complaint against the girl, the situation has not arisen before the Court of law.


    You can file a case of cheating against your girlfriend for deceiving you and thereby cheating you.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Criminal lawyers in India

Similar questions

My boyfriend is refusing me to marry after keeping physical relationship. All this happened in…

Hi There, A bank has intentionally made an enquiry to CIBIL that I enquired for…
I am getting married in two months.... but one of my old friend is now…
My sister in law filed false case against my family. She and her family harassing…

Criminal Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly