Can i file defamation case in Delhi? Person in Assam. I am in Noida
We want to file a defamation case against someone who is based in Tinsukia Assam but as I am a doctor by professional and currently working in Noida UP would like to file the case from Delhi / NCR.
With respect to a civil suit for defamation, you can file it either where the cause of action arises or where the defendant resides.
Secton 19 of the Code of Civil Procedure states that: Suits for compensation for wrongs to person or movables:
Where a suit is for compensation for wrong done to the person or to movable property, if the wrong was done within the local limits of the jurisdiction of one Court and the defendant resides, or carries on business, or personally works for gain, within the local limits of the jurisdiction of another Court, the suit may be instituted at the option of the plaintiff in either of the said Courts.
So to file the case in Delhi/NCR, you shall have to prove that the cause of action arose in Noida and therefore the suit is to be tried in Delhi and not Assam.
With respect to criminal defamation, you can register a complaint in the nearest Police Station, however you shall have to show them as well as to how the cause of action arose in their jurisdiction or else they shall refuse to register the complaint.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Want to take divorce on ground of cruelty. She threatens to kill me.
- Physical violence since marriage. Can i file mutual divorce petition?
- Compensation for Govt. occupied land
- Delay in receiving salary what can I do
- How can I claim share in my father's property