quesBigamy service of a Govt. Servant can be affected?

A Govt. Servant woman, married an already married man. The man has a wife and two children. If the first wife would take any legal action,will there be any problem in service of second wife?

• ansBigamy is impermissible. A person who marries during the existence of his first marriage is guilty of bigamy which carries an imprisonment of up to 7 years.

The first wife can file a criminal case against her husband. If the first wife can prove that the second wife was aware of the existence of the first marriage of the husband then she too can be enmeshed in the rigors of law.

Since the second wife is a government servant she may be punished at the culmination of a disciplinary action initiated by the government on the complaint of the first wife.