Am a bank employee. M i liable to pay back for money taken by fraud?
I am working in a bank, one day a man with fake passbook and withdrawl form with signature approximately matching with that of account holder came and I made a payment of Rs. 25,000 to him. A few days later the original Account holder came and registered a complaint.
That fraudster again came to the bank to withdraw Rs. 40,000 and got caught. FIR was registered but case is in his favour now, CCTV footage was not seen by the judge and now I have to give the amount from my pocket.
What should I do?
In this case you can defend yourself from paying the amount, since there is no lack of diligence and the Hon'ble Court acquitted the person because the person was not found guilty and hence, you cannot be made liable, as the person whom you paid has been found to be 'Not Guilty'.
Since this proves that no offence has been committed, hence you are not liable to pay the amount.
In case the bank insists on you paying the amount, you must reply by requesting the bank to file an appeal in the higher court against the decision of the lower court citing non admittance and acceptance of valid case evidence (CCTV footage) by the lower court as the ground for appeal.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Builder charging extra money
- Signed an employment bond, but want to leave job before time.
- Can a handicap certificate issued be cancelled?
- Where can i file for a RTI for a photocopy of my answer book.
- Worked for LIC after supreme court judgement can i get my job back?