quesCheques kept as security, presented in bank by company

Hi, I started my business in 2011. I signed a dealership with a company who took 3 cheques from me as security. Everything was going good until once that the company sent me extra materials than what I had ordered. I asked the company to take back the extra material and settle the account. However, they chose not to pay heed my situation. This material went down as a waste for me. I suffered losses due to the same. I am now deciding to close down the company and to do a job.

During this time, the company presented the cheques that I gave them as a security amount to the bank. The cheques bounced due to insufficient funds. The company now says that they will file a case against me, that to in another city. Is there any way I can defend myself on court?

  • ansIssuing a security cheque by filling up the amount and name of drawee is an express authority to the drawee to present the cheque to bank for encashment. If the cheque has bounced then a legal notice will be issued to you by the drawee for payment.

    You are not required to present yourself in the court at every hearing. You can engage a lawyer in that city. The presence of your lawyer will suffice.

    In the meanwhile, we would need some clarity about your query. Have you already received a legal notice from the company? What is the amount payable by you and how much they are claiming through the cheque? Do you have any record to show that you have given the said cheque as security for the future liability and who written the amount on the cheque?

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Corporate Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Corporate lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hi Sir, I am employee in software company, we have 20 people and around 10…
I have taken admission in Galgotias University Delhi in 2016 but due to some problem…
I joined a company in Mumbai and they made me sign a bond for 2…

Hello, I have incorporated a company with Rs. 1 lac authorised capital. I have also…

Corporate Lawyers in India

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Sukhwinder Singh Rai

  District Court, Ludhiana
 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Dr. Sudhir Ravindran

 Experience: 18 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly
View in App
Get Upto 40% Off