How to respond to legal notice on copyright infringement?
We have received a Legal Notice for copyright infringement from a School in Ghaziabad. We run a chain of play schools in Ghaziabad and have a website wherein a few sections have some text that is similar to another play school's website. They have sent us a Legal Notice for copyright infringement through a Lawyer and we have to reply in 7 days.
The text that is similar on both websites is generic services offered by the schools. How do we respond to them and what can be the legal implications of copyright infringement.
You have 2 options available to you:
1. Remove the content from your website and settle the matter.
2. Send a reply in the form of a legal notice stating the content which is being claimed to be infringing their copyright is of common knowledge and general in nature and that the same does not amount to a copyright infringement.
Thereafter, they shall have the option of filing a complaint in the Court as copyright infringement is a criminal offence and if the same is proven then the minimum punishment is 6 months imprisonment or a fine of Rs 50,000/-.
You shall have the right to defend yourself and prove that the content does not amount to copyright and therefore, cannot be claimed to be a copyright of the School. You can also show that you are the prior user of this name.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Trademark & Copyright Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- how to file a cheque bounce case if cheque given by untrusted man
- Does grandson have share in grandfathers self made property?
- Company not paying due amount of 2 years
- What remedy if employer illegally terminates job over phone call?
- Can brother claim in property if he was disowned from it