Copyright in company software.
In our company previously we used Autocad software. Nov'13 mail received from auto desk stating that using illegal version. Immediately We uninstalled the software. Repeatedly they called through phone and asked to buy licensed version. We told it is not required for us. ( only learning purpose only we used ). last month auto desk team came to our office and said " purchase the software otherwise we will go to court". It is not affordable to us. Kindly help us what to do.
Copyright can be enforced for commercial used of non propitiatory property. But as you claimed, you used the s/w for learning purpose only, then it is exempted from copyright or any other IPR LAW. you need not worry, if you have used it for knowledge, research or learning purpose.
You write a letter to the concern authority of the Autodesk and let them know that, what was your purpose behind using the previous version and now you do not require it. Even if they did not act or reacted to your letter/email and forced to to buy the licensed copy then you can use this letter/email as an evidence to show your bonafideness in Court.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Trademark & Copyright Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Got exparte divorce, now remarried, ex-wife now filed for maintenance
- Brother wants to file for divorce but he is in living relationship
- What to do if tenant is not paying the rent ?
- Punishment for producing fake income certificate to get rebate in fee
- Can hostel students be forced to eat in their mess, please advise