Can there be trademark issue in franchisee business
We are running a Fast Food restaurant under a franchisee model. Now we want to carry out business independently. We want the name of the business similiar to the one existing of the franchisee. We operate the firm as propreitoriship, soon we will be registering as private limited. Our concern is will there be any trademark issue with the franchisee name. If yes, what is the best alternative. At present Franchisee Name: "Cheeliza" Company Business Name: Ruchi Foods Plaza Pvt. Ltd. Our planned outlet Name: "Cheezilla" Company Business Name: Kirti Foods (Kirti Group Pvt. Ltd.)
Trademark issues in case of franchise agreements are common. It would be possible to comment on the matter after legal vetting of the franchise agreement. Although as per industry practice it is likely that the IP would not be exploitable by the franchisee after termination. Such usage may invite trademark infringement litigation.
Advocate Divyang ChandanPrincess Street, Mumbai
The actual owner of the trademark “CHEELIZA” i.e. Ruchi Foods Plaza Pvt. Ltd. will not allow you to use such a similar trademark “CHEEZILLA” because admittedly, the adoption of your trademark “CHEEZILLA” is copied from the trademark “CHEELIZA” which actually belongs to Ruchi Foods Plaza Pvt. Ltd. Therefore the adoption of your trademark "CHEEZILLA" is itself dishonest. If application of the trademark "CHEEZILLA" is filed, you may face the objections by the Trademark Registry and even if the trademark is accepted and advertised, Ruchi Foods Plaza Pvt. Ltd. may file the opposition on your trademark.
Advocate Amit R KukrejaFort, Mumbai
Registering the business process is more important that getting the name to do the same since that is what matters and is more important. Or simply the business function procedure etc however do not be concerned about business name since it really does not matter...
Advocate Krishnan Balakrishnan NairShivane, Pune
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Trademark & Copyright Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- If child below 5 years who will get custody after divorce?
- How to get the father's name changed in Transfer Certificate
- Working after office time, even if presently working in a company.
- Typing error in court petition how to correct the same
- How to file for divorce if marriage nor registered