quesStale food served in flight. Packaged food w/o expiry date. Options?

I travelled by an airline 1 week ago and they gave me stale food which I bought. I sent them email complaint and they say that our packaged food does not have expiry date and have apologized mentioning this on email as well. They say we put stickers which can get torn / taken off as well during transit.


I have all evidence – packet, bill, etc. COO of the airline emails saying it was a mistake – we will take action against this.


What compensation can I get as I feel cheated and this is also against the Govt. policy wherein food packages need to have printed expiry and manufacturing date on it.


  • ans


    You have the following options available to you:


    1. You can file a consumer complaint against the airlines for deficiency in product and services.


    Recently, there have been a plethora of cases, where the Airline Companies have been made to pay a hefty amount of compensation (Ranging from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 5,00,000) to the passengers for the quality of food being served by them. Indigo Airlines was sued for serving expired food products in the Airlines, and compensation was awarded to the passenger.


    This consumer complaint has to be filed in the district consumer court. You can claim damages as well as compensation from the court.


    With respect to the procedure for filing a consumer complaint, you can visit the following website:


    which lists out the format for filing a consumer complaint.


    However, it is suggested that you engage an advocate to represent your case in a better manner. 


    2. Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011, require that every packaged food needs have a “Best Before date” printed on its label. As you have stated the food product provided by the Airlines, did not have the same, therefore it is a clear violation of these regulations.


    You can report the same to the Food Safety Commissioner for the state for redressal of your grievance and action against the airlines. You can visit this website to know the address of the Commissioner of your state:




    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Send a legal notice for faulty product or service @ Rs. 1499/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Consumer Court lawyers in India

Similar questions

While opening a Bank Account,a photocopy of the PAN card was submitted. The photocopy was…
Complaitant claims in Mumbai suburban forum, alleged maintenance charges account of 1986 Also lease and…
I placed order on pepperfry.com for dressing table on 20th of January. but the product…
Consumer Court says they have lost my file, so what should I do?

Consumer Court Lawyers in India

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate Ayantika Mondal

 Experience: 8 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly