quesRailway passengers' consumer rights in India.

As per current railway rules passengers possessing RAC ticket can board a train, but are allotted a berth only on cancellation of tickets or as per vacation of existing seats. It may however be noted that the RAC passenger is being charged at par with other passengers possessing confirmed tickets, whereas the availability of a vacant berth is uncertain.

It is hence highly unfare to charge a passenger for a service that was actually not offered or was offered for a short span of the journey. It is hence justified to ask for a refund for the fare difference between a seat and the birth for the journey till a confirmed berth is allotted. A customer should be charged only at par with the services at offer. The legal viability of the case may please be advised.

  • ansLogically you are right in claiming that RAC passengers should pay less than those having reservation with birth. You can file a PIL in the Supreme Court for changing the rule followed by Indian Railways.

  • Send a legal notice for faulty product or service @ Rs. 1499/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Consumer Court lawyers in India

Similar questions

Respected Sir/Mam, I booked a flat in Noida,U.P. in 2011 and was promised that it…
Is it justified that leading hospitals like Fortis charge the same service (e.g. X ray)…
Builder has not given me my apartment on time and has already delayed it for…
I have booked a flight from Amritsar to Delhi for 5th April 6:45pm. It has…

Consumer Court Lawyers in India

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly