Railway passengers' consumer rights in India.
As per current railway rules passengers possessing RAC ticket can board a train, but are allotted a berth only on cancellation of tickets or as per vacation of existing seats. It may however be noted that the RAC passenger is being charged at par with other passengers possessing confirmed tickets, whereas the availability of a vacant berth is uncertain.
It is hence highly unfare to charge a passenger for a service that was actually not offered or was offered for a short span of the journey. It is hence justified to ask for a refund for the fare difference between a seat and the birth for the journey till a confirmed berth is allotted. A customer should be charged only at par with the services at offer. The legal viability of the case may please be advised.
Logically you are right in claiming that RAC passengers should pay less than those having reservation with birth. You can file a PIL in the Supreme Court for changing the rule followed by Indian Railways.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Tenant filed FIR under section 501 What can be done
- What legal documents to look for before buying land from a developer?
- Staff absconding after taking advances and excess salary. What to do?
- Check Bounce Case filed by my Employer what can be done
- Procudeure to change cast in ssc certificate