quesbuilder delayed possession of flat- wants compensation

Sir, I bought a flat in Bangalore and was promised by builder to give possession in July'2014. But now apparently he will be able to give possession in April'14 only. So there is a delay of 9 months from his side in giving possession. However, he has not added a penalty clause in the agreement for the delayed possession. Being the first time buyer I somehow missed it. So my question is that could I ask him for any compensation towards late possession when I do not have a penalty clause in my agreement?
Is that my legal right in that case? Please help.

• ansGenerally in construction of buildings delays are common as builder has to obtain over 100 approvals. You would be entitled to claim compensation if there is a clause in contract.

In case there is no such clause builder will refuse to pay. What you can do in such a situation is take possession of flat. Then move consumer forum for deficiency in service against the builder and seek compensation from him for the delay of possession