Bank not honoring consumer court ruling. Where to complain about it?
If a bank does not honor a consumer court ruling, can it be booked for contempt of court? On filing a case in the consumer court against City Finance against their high rate of interest for home loans, the court decided the case in my favor and asked the bank to restructure their rate of interest and fined the bank Rs. 5000 as well.
It’s been 3 years now and no action has been taken from the bank’s side. Should I apply for contempt of court? How should I take this forward legally?
Yes, as per a recent decision of Allahabad High Court, it has been categorically held that anyone who does not abide by the ruling of the Consumer Forum can be charged with contempt of court as the High Court is empowered with the power to punish any one for the contempt of a court sub-ordinate to him and the Consumer forum is a court sub-ordinate to a High Court. So you can proceed with a contempt of court petition.
Otherwise, Consumer Courts are given vast powers for enforcement of their order. You can file an application for execution of the Order whereby the Consumer Court is empowered to order attachment of the property of the judgement-debtor.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can I claim right on the invention made by me outside work
- transfer of property in name of Husband. but need some clarification
- Builder not providing possession
- Suit filed by maternal grand father on behalf of minor children
- Poor services by web developer can I take action against them