quesSecurity cheque is misused and it got bounced.What is my liability?

Am I accountable if I issue a cheque (blank cheque) as a security collateral for cash taken by a neighbor and the neighbor runs away with the cash? The lender has now filled the cheque himself for Rs.100,000 and presented it, and the cheque got bounced.


He then sent me a legal notice for which I replied and has now sent me court summons. Am I liable to pay the amount considering I did not take the money and there is no other written proof of the money apart from the cheque.


  • ans

    The person who issues a cheque is liable under the Negotiable Instruments Act to the person to whom the cheque has been issued. So in case you have issued a cheque to another person, it will be considered that you owe the person the said amount, and the payment is being made to fulfil your obligation towards that amount due, unless you are able to prove otherwise.


    Since the cheque was issued to the lender as a collateral, he is entitled to present the cheque to the extent to which the money is to be paid.


    Since there was no contract of Guarantee, you cannot be made liable to pay the amount. You have to defend the matter in the court after taking bail and leading the evidence. Since there is no liability, the only option you are left with in the given circumstances is to defend the matter.


  • Send a legal notice for cheque bounce @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Cheque Bounce lawyers in India

Similar questions

My job agent cheated with me a fake job in Dubai. He asked me to…
Hello sir greetings, sir actually a person have to give 68k for us, he gave…

Sir 2 years back we purchased a house by giving payment of Rs 700000/- but…

I took loan from a person, paid interest until recent but offlate unable to pay…

Cheque Bounce Lawyers in India

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate Vikram Ojha

 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly