Cheque got bounced. Is there any case possible? Under what section?
If I have a cheque and it gets bounced due to stop payment / cheque lost or signature difference, can there be a case under Section 138 NI?
The Recent Supreme Court and High Court judgement have tried to cover various grounds on which a complaint under Section 138 NI Act can be filed.
Stop payment has been considered as one of the grounds for filing the said complaint.
With respect to signature difference, it shall depend on the trial court. It depends upon whether the difference in signature was intentional or unintentional. The contents of the reply to the legal notice you send the drawer shall also be considered.
We would need more information to advise with regards to Dishonor due to cheque getting lost. Was the loss reported to the bank / Police?
However, we would like to mention that you need to follow the procedure laid down under Section 138 of the NI Act which includes sending a legal notice demanding payment and only thereafter filing the complaint in the competent court.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Procedure for Change of parent name in birth certificate
- How I get married a Muslim girl without converting my relagion
- What action possible against a person who has cheated me and may more?
- How to file counter case against husband for harassment
- Right of daughter on father's property after marriage ?