Can i file civil and criminal case together in case of cheque bounce?
I have filed a cheque bounce case under section 138 of the negotiable instruments act. Someone advised me that I can also file a recovery case against the same person.
So I wanted to know can I file both cases together? If yes, then under what act should I file it?
Yes, you can file Summary Suit under Order 37 Rule 2 and you can file the suit where the cause of action has arisen.
Under Section 138 of Negotiable Instrument Act, the Court can punish the Drawer of the Cheque for
1. maximum imprisonment of two years, or with
2. fine which may extent to twice the amount of the cheque, or
3. with both.
And in Money Suit under Order 37 of the C.P.C., the Court can Order the Drawer of the Cheque to Pay
(i) the amount involved in the Cheque, along with
(ii) Interest as per law from the date of the suit to the date of decree.
Further, yes you can file both the case simultaneously.
Click here to find the best Recovery lawyer in your city.
Related IPC Sections
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- how to revise alimony as amount was 2000 decided in 2005 is too less
- Resigned in three days company asking for 30 days salary
- Indian Domicile Certificate
- Can the municipality legally sanction the building plan or object ?
- How to safeguard the plot from being occupied by any person illegaly?